Primary player/unit; 1,5, 7
Secondary unit; team 4,10,9
Specific area of pitch: Right channels 1&2
What do I want my players to achieve?
- Improve first touch
- Improve quick tempo and accuracy of forward passes
- Improve confidence to play out from the back making correct decisions
- Improve courage to want the ball from the goal keeper
Principle of play
Attacking - Create Space, Movement, Penetration
Technical Components - Passing, Receiving, Turning
What are the game related pictures I want to recreate?
- GK wins ball on turnover
- 5&6 split to edge of 18 yard box as rest of the team push up. 7&11 half way line on touchline, 9 on last defender with 10 in close proximity. 4&8 push high towards centre circle. (Creating space for 5&6 to receive from GK)
- As ball is travelling to 5, 4drops in of an angle to offer and option. 7 drops in short with clever movement to lose defender.
- 5 plays to 7 who is face up the pitch as 9 runs from central area into Channel 2 to receive pass from 7
- 7 supports 9 with overlapping run, 10&8 attack with penetrating runs (crossing over) to attack the opposition penalty box, 11 attacks the far post cutting in from channel 5 in the attacking third, 4 moves up the pitch centrally to support behind the ball as defenders 5&6push up to halfway line with Goalkeeper supporting from edge of penalty area.
What detail will help the player improve their understanding and performance?
- Quick decison making from GK to command movement from 5&6 to get into a position to receive the ball
- Good starting position with firm accurate passing into 5 feet
- 5 good body position and first touch (receive on back foot) to play accurate forward pass quickly
- Movement of 7 to push opposition defender high to then drop short to receive pass (on back foot) from 5 to play forward into space for 9 to exploit
- GK and defenders to push up as ball travels forward into attacking third
Area layout and size: 9v9 pitch
Scoring system: If team can play through the thirds as above and score it will count as 3
Players per team: 9
Conditions and constraints:
First Half: If the ball goes out for defending team in defensive half for a throw in, restart with a goal kick. This will provide more opportunities of repetition for the above.
Second Half: Normal game
Timings: 2 x 25 minute halves
- Command. Freeze Stop stand still maximum of three times in first 25 minutes.
- Drive by's to support individual learning during play.
- Q&A to check and challenge player understanding
I am not a